Friday 12 October 2012

Love-a-Bull Mutts Series: Lennox (Part 1)


          Breed Specific Legislation or "BSL" is prevalent worldwide, resulting in stereotypes and unnecessary euthanasia of some beautiful, healthy dogs. Our Love-a-Bull Mutts Series will focus on shedding light on the truth about "Bully Breeds" such as American Pit Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers. 

By Alicia

         A few months ago, I saw a beautiful pit bull with scars on his face in the back of a pick up truck in the grocery store parking lot.  No leash, no crate, he was calmly sitting and observing his surroundings.  When his family came out of the store I went up and complimented on how well behaved his dog was.  That is how I met Tennessee and his dog Tank.  I asked about his scars and he said that they live on a reserve and the scars were from fighting with the stray dogs.  I gave him my card and said that anytime he needed help with the animals out there to give me a call, I would do what I could.

         Fast forward to August 24th, when out of the blue I received a text from someone saying that Tennessee gave them my number.  Do I want their pit bull Kash? I asked for the back story on the dog, and it turned out he was getting aggressive - killing other dogs.  I was immediately taken aback and worried, but they called me for help and I couldn't say no just because of the situation. I decided I would help them by taking the dog - telling them if I can't help him, he may be euthanized. “It’s ok if he's put down!” was the heartbreaking reply.  At least she called me - she could have easily given him away or had him disposed of - I was thankful for that.

The car where Lennox spent most of his time.
         That night I couldn't stop thinking about what I was going to do.  I had just put to sleep my 13-year-old pit bull, Duck, just 6 weeks ago.  I have a soft spot for pit bulls, no doubt about it, but I didn’t want to risk any other animal getting hurt, so I decided by morning that I would go get Kash (now Lennox) and get him put to sleep.  I planned to take food and water with me so he would go with a full tummy and at least know some semblance of care and affection.

         On Saturday morning my mom and I went to pick Lennox up.  We met his owner and followed her to her house and we were greeted with three dogs relaxing in the yard.  Right away I knew which one was Kash; he had to be the older guy.  I got out of the car and the dogs sauntered over to greet me. Their owner quickly introduced them to me as Diamond and Jumbo. She told me that she had been working away from home all week so Lennox was tied up to a car over to the side of where we were standing. She said that she would come home find “lots of dead dogs everywhere.”  (As it happens, these were packs of feral dogs against whom Lennox had to defend himself… more on that later!) Lennox was usually in the house with them, but she was working too much now.  As it turned out, Jumbo (now Wicca) and Diamond were actually owned by her sister, who was willing to surrender Wicca, the German Shepherd x Boxer, but wanted to keep Diamond.

   
Off to our new home!
         His former owner leaned over to pick up Lennox one last time, and gave him a hug and a kiss before loading him into the kennel in my van.  While she was filling out the surrender document, I opened up a can of food for Diamond and Wicca, who took it eagerly from my fingers - no growling! By this time I had made up a loop from a leash and was ready to load Lennox up into the van. I asked the owner for some help, and a beautiful thing happened- she leaned over and started petting him for the first time in his life. I took this as a sign that I did the right thing by coming out to rescue them- now they could start learning what it meant to be loved and cared for like a dog should be.  

Stay tuned for part 2- Lennox heads to his new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment