Sunday 22 July 2012

My First Foster - and I Failed!

By Amanda A.


Amanda, Tobbie and Mylow
My journey with MMDR started in spring of 2011. I had just bought my first house and was really thinking about getting a sibling for my Pug, Tobbie. I was doing some research online and came across MMDR. I thought while I was deciding wether to adopt or not, maybe I`d foster. The day after my home inspection I got a call to pick up an 8 week old Shepherd Cross. I rushed out and got her, her name was Vi. I brought her home and soon realized I had ended up with the sweetest pup. The weekend came and I was to bring her to an adoption fair. I showed up close to tears, still unsure if I wanted to keep her or not. I sat in a corner with her on my lap for the first hour. I stepped out of the fair to go get coffee, and cried the whole time. That was when I realized that I needed this pup more than she needed me. I rushed back to the fair, scooped her up and took her home. I renamed her Mylow that night (I didn`t like Vi, but knew if I remaned her she wasn`t going anywhere) and sent in my adoption papers the next day. Yes, I am a victim of the first foster fail! Adopting my girl was the best decision I ever made. She is an amazing dog, and I ended up with the better addition to my family then I ever thought possible. 

I took some time off of fostering while my girl settled in, but now I am opening up my home again and couldn`t be happier. Making the decision to foster was one of the best decisions I ever made. In the past few months I have seen quite a few puppies, rotate through my house.  My current foster is tired out from a visit with my nieces, and sleeping with her head on my foot as I write this. Being a part of the MMDR community and being able to help mutts in need is a great expierence. No one says that it is easy. Seeing fosters go to their furever homes is super hard, but knowing that without you opening up your home and saving a life, these dogs would have never had a chance to be warm and loved! Makes it all worth it!



Amanda currently is the Event Coordinator for Manitoba Mutts and remains a long term foster for the rescue.  


Baby Mylow

No comments:

Post a Comment